In this article we will talk about 15 most important cases/scenarios for website cookie testing.
1) verify that no Sensitive and Personal data is stored In cookies.
2)Verify that if any personal data is stored in cookies it should be stored in encrypted format.
4) Verify that If you are using cookies on your site, your sites major functionality will not work by disabling the cookies. There should be no page crash when cookies are disabled by user.(Please make sure that all previously written cookies must be deleted and the browser must be open fresh before performing the tests.)
5) Verify that on Disabling the cookies appropriate messages Should be displayed to a user like “For smooth functioning of this site make sure that cookies are enabled on your browser” while navigating through Site.
6) Verify that there should not be any page crash due to disabling the cookies.
Note: Please make sure that you close all browsers, delete all previously written cookies before performing this test)
7) Verified that your web application page is writing the cookies properly on different browsers as intended and site works properly using these cookies. You can test your web application on Major used browsers like Internet Explorer (Various versions),Chrome ,Mozilla Firefox, Netscape, Opera etc.
8) Verify that cookies written by one domain cannot be accessed by another domain.
9) Verified that Corrupted cookies cannot be accessible by other domain.
Note: Corrupting cookie is easy. You know where cookies are stored. Manually edit the cookie in notepad and change the parameters to some vague values. Like alter the cookie content, Name of the cookie or expiry date of the cookie and see the site functionality. In some cases corrupted cookies allow to read the data inside it for any other domain. This should not happen in case of your website cookies.
10) Accepts/Reject some cookies: The best way to check website functionality is, not to accept all cookies. If you are writing 10 cookies in your web application then randomly accept some cookies say accept 5 and reject 5 cookies. For executing this test case you can set browser options to prompt whenever cookie is being written to disk. On this prompt window you can either accept or reject cookie. Try to access major functionality of the website. See if pages are getting crashed or data is getting corrupted.
11) Delete cookie: Allow site to write the cookies and then close all browsers and manually delete all cookies for web site under test. Access the web pages and check the behavior of the pages.
12) Checking the deletion of cookies from your web application page: Sometimes cookie written by domain saymay be deleted by same domain but by different page under that domain. This is the general case if you are testing some ‘action tracking’ web portal. Action tracking or purchase tracking pixel is placed on the action web page and when any action or purchase occurs by user the cookie written on disk get deleted to avoid multiple action logging from same cookie. Check if reaching to your action or purchase page deletes the cookie properly and no more invalid actions or purchase get logged from same user.
13) If your web application is using cookies to maintain the logging state of any user then log in to your web application using same username and password. In many cases you can see the logged in user ID parameter directly in browser address bar. Change this parameter to different value says if previous user ID is 456 then make it 452 and press enter. The proper access message should be displayed to user and user should not be able to see other users account.
14) In case of online shopping portal testing ,Verify that when user reach to final order summary page, cookie of previous page i.e. shopping cart page should be deleted properly.
15) Verified that credit/Debit card number should not be stored in cookies not even in encrypted form.